2011- Present Assistant Criminal Justice Professor
University of the Cumberlands, Williamsburg, KY
2009-Present President / Motivational Speaker
GM&M Motivational Speaking llc., Lexington, KY
2008-2009 Dean of Criminal Justice and Security Administration
Taylor Business Institute, Chicago, IL
2005-2008 Coordinator of Criminal Justice Department Professor of Criminal Justice
Olympic College, Bremerton, WA.
2002-2004 Adjunct Professor
Governors State University, University Park IL
2004-2005, 2008-2010 Adjunct Professor |
Westwood College, Calumet City IL. & Woodridge, IL.
2004-2005 Adjunct Professor
Loyola University, Chicago, Chicago IL
2004-2004 Adjunct Professor
Columbia College, Elgin, IL.
1995-2005, 2008-2008 Adjunct Professor
Chicago State University, Chicago IL
1995-1997 Adjunct Professor
Harold Washington College, Chicago, IL
Chicago Police Academy
• Taught Criminal Justice Courses to undergraduate and graduate students.
• Developed course curriculums and challenging assignments for students.
• Reviewed and evaluated student assignments.
• Advised and counseled students regarding career planning options, as desired.
. Managed faculty
2001-2003 Mental Health Worker
Grand Prairie Services, Tinley Park IL
• Provided counseling to mental health clients.
Dispensed medications, provided transportation, and prepared case management reports on each client in respect to their progress in a community living arrangement.
1998-2000 Part-time Investigator/Process Server
Luther Spencer and Associates Law Firm, Maywood IL
• Investigated Civil and Criminal cases
• Processed Subpoenas
1995-1998 Consultant (Jail Division) and Technical Resource Provider
National Institute of Corrections, Longmont Colorado
Served on an on call basis and provided direction in training, development, education, vocational counseling, teaching, communication, and organization skills in corrections and criminal justice.
1994-2005 Substitute Teacher-Special Education (type 39 teaching certificate)
Various school districts: Chicago, Calumet City, Wilmette, New Trier, and Skokie
• Provided K-12 Substitute education to mentally ill, special needs, and general education students in various subjects.
• Provided education, evaluated homework assignments and assisted students with lessons as needed.
2001-2002 Social Services Career Trainee
Illinois department of human services, Chicago IL
• Counseled and provided services to public aid applicants
• Determined applicant eligibility for food stamps, medical insurance, and other related services.
2000-2001 Drug Counselor/Educator
Human Resource Development Institute, Chicago IL
• Facilitated groups and educated offenders on substance abuse.
• Conducted group sessions in nursing homes, training facilities, and in the Sheriff day reporting program.
• Counseled mentally ill clients.
1997-1999 Residential Advisor/ Case Manager
Salvation Army Community Correction Center, U.S. Department of Justice, Chicago IL
• Managed activities and service delivery for mentally ill residents.
• Provided service on an assigned caseload, from onset to completion of the program.
• Counseled residents regarding criminal justice issues.
. Provided counseling on employment and vocational training.
1997-1998 Training Specialist
Harold Washington College-Chicago Police Academy, Chicago IL
• Provided educational instruction to police cadets in-training at the Chicago Police Academy.
• Conducted communication, cultural diversity, and conflict management courses on domestic disturbances to police cadets.
1991-1992 Security Officer
Levy Security Consultants, Chicago IL
• Provided loss prevention services against theft.
• Provided security
• Assisted in conducting criminal investigations.
1985-1985 Parole Agent
Illinois Department of Corrections, Chicago IL
• Provided Supervision of inmates
• Provided counseling of inmates
• Provided investigation of inmates
• Provided case management of inmates
• Referred inmates to education, employment, and substance abuse programs.
1988-1997 Educational Consultant
Educational Design Associates, Chicago IL
• Provided assessment of law enforcement data for various federal agencies.
• Provided training and development services in Staff Development and Stress Management. .
1984&1993 Training Specialist
Mayor’s Office of Employment and Training, Chicago IL
• Provided training orientation of youth for assessment in vocational skills and employment projects.
• Provided employment counseling for youth.
1979-1988 Training Specialist
Chicago City Colleges, Chicago IL
• Conducted testing for program admissions
• Provided academic advice and counsel
• Conducted orientation for incoming students
• Provided referral services as required, to public agencies
• Assisted with conducting vocational counseling sessions, workshops and student recruitment.
• Conducted intensive educational training and counseling in vocational sheltered workshops for the mentally ill in math, reading, English, and social studies.
1982-1983 Probation/Parole Officer
Florida Department of Corrections, Miami Florida
• Provided counseling to parolees and probationers.
• Provided vocational, employment, drug and alcohol care, case management, and educational referral and counseling.
• Prepared weekly, monthly activity progress reports.
• Conducted face to face interviews.
• Prepared pre-sentence and post sentence investigations.
• Made regular court appearances regarding civil and criminal matters.
1977-1980 Case Manager/Correctional Treatment Specialist/Correctional Officer
U.S. Bureau of Prisons, Department of Justice, Milan Michigan and Chicago IL
• Provided counseling, advising, treatment, referring and monitoring of inmates treatment progress.
• Provided counseling for vocational skills, employment, drug and alcohol after care, parole, furlough, educational referral and institutional matters.
• Prepared weekly case management progress and classification reports.
• Made regular court appearances for criminal and civil matters.
1971-1977 Inspectional Services & Finance
U.S. Customs Service, Chicago IL
U.S. Department of the Treasury
• Performed accounts receivable of over $500,000 per year from international passengers at O’Hare airport.
• Audited import and export documents at Midway Airport.
1970-1971 U.S. Special Police, Federal Protective Services
U.S. General Services Administration, Chicago IL
• Provided security and protection for the U.S. government buildings and employees against various terrorist, sabotage, and criminal acts.
Assisted in criminal investigations.
1969-1970 United States Marine Corps, Infantry 0311
United States Marines
Vietnam, California, Japan, Alaska, Hawaii
Vietnam combat veteran
Criminal Justice with a Special Emphasis in Corrections
the Union Institute and University, Cincinnati Ohio
Graduate Degree in Corrections 1977
Chicago State University, Chicago IL
BS Degree 1975
Chicago State University
International who’s who of Professionals for lifetime achievement. 1997
Criminal Justice Affiliations
•American Correctional Association
• National Institute of Corrections
• American Society of Criminal Justice
• John Howard Association
. American Society of Criminology
CRIMINAL JUSTICE COURSES TAUGHT
. Management & Supervision in Law Enforcement
. Police Community Relations
• Race, Crime and Violence
• Research Methods for Criminology and Criminal Justice
• White Collar Crime
• Criminology I
• Criminology II
• Introduction to Criminal Justice
• Introduction to Investigation
• Professional Responsibilities in Criminal Justice Ethics
• Criminal Law
• Probation and Parole
• Adult Institutions
• Community-Based Corrections
• Stress Classes
• Criminal Law II
• Introductions to Corrections
• Police Management
• Report Writing
• Correction Law
• Critical Issues in Juvenile Delinquency
• Critical Issues in Criminal Justice
• Junior Seminar
• Corrections I
• Corrections II
• Administration & Justice
• Criminal Justice & Public Policy
RESEARCH INTEREST AND TOPICS
• Stress and the law enforcement officer
• Rehabilitation in Corrections
• Intermediate Sanctions
• Absconding From Supervision
• Juvenile Delinquency
• Inmate Motivational Speaking
• Motivational Speaking
Teaching Online to Students, 2006; Microsoft Words, 2003; and Windows, 2000.
Served as the Vice-President for “Energy” which assisted poverty stricken youth in Chicago, Ill. I funraised. I assisted in the everyday running of organizational tasks.
I served in this position from 2004-2005.
Serve on the Board of Directors for the YMCA in Bremerton, Washington. I assisted in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating various tasks on a daily basis.(Current)
Attended various criminal justice conferences and served on panels for the betterment of research, and policy-making all over the country (2005-2007).